Often after feeding everyone else in the family breakfast or after packing them all lunches we moms look around the kitchen thinking, "now what's left for me?" In this blog we will document the sometimes delicious, sometimes weird, sometimes nutritous, sometimes not so much things we have come up with to serve as our morning and mid-day meals.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A new recipe


I have been wanting to try a new recipe for awhile. Since I was down one babysitting kid today, I decided I had enough time to try it. I wanted to try it first before making it for my family to see if I needed to tweak it or nix it all together. So, I bet you are wondering what I made huh? I made fish tacos. All I can say is YUM! The recipe has three parts. The beer batter, the sauce and the taco. If you want the recipe it is below. I did tweak it a bit from the origional recipe. I took one thing out and swapped a couple things for others that were mostly the same I also added a few things all together. Here is the recipe.

Beer batter

1 c. flour
2 T. cornstarch
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 egg
1 c. beer

Sauce
1/2 c. mayonaise
1/2 c. sour cream
1 lime
zest from 1 lime
1 t. oregano
1 t. cilantro
1 t. cumin
1/2 t. red pepper flakes
1/2 t. pepper
1 t. curry powder

Other
Flour or corn tortillas
chopped cabbage
Cod or Tilapia

1. Mix all dry ingredients for batter. Mix egg and beer together and add to dry ingredients. Place fish in batter and coat both sides. Fry in oil until brown and crispy.

2. Grate lime zest into a bowl. Add mayo and sour cream and lime juice thoroughly. Add all other dry ingredients.

3. Assemble tacos. Warm up your tortillas in either the oven or microwave. Place fish on tortilla, add some sauce and cabbage. ENJOY!

The origional recipe called for capers (YUCK), cayenne pepper and plain yogurt. As you can see I don't like capers, and I didn't have cayenne pepper, so I used curry powder. I didn't have plain yogurt so I used sour cream. I also took the liberty of adding lime zest and cilantro.

Kim


No comments:

Post a Comment